Thursday, February 13, 2014

Spicy prawns and fish with noodles

I am not a fan of fish curry and normally the words spicy and fish together never normally hold much of an appeal for me and tend to go over looked, so when I handed one of my recipe books over to Glen and said here you choose I was slightly apprehensive when he picked, spicy prawns and fish. I had very much shot myself in the foot though because at that time my inspiration was non-existent I could spend hours looking through the cookbooks and still find nothing that I want to make. My collection stands at over 180 books and magazines (that has increased a lot since I wrote these blog notes but I am unsure how many I have now) how I couldn’t find anything I don’t know? I left the book in my husband’s protesting hands, he was using the excuse “I am rubbish at this sort of thing,” I told him to stop being so ridiculous and just get on with choosing one! Well I could hardly turn around afterwards and say honey that’s a rubbish choice pick another, after that could I! So I made it, truth be told I really enjoyed it too it was fun to make and tasted delicious. It was the first time I had eaten monk fish and I rather enjoyed it, all in all this isn’t the last time that I’ll be preparing this dish.

Spicy prawns and fish
1 roughly chopped onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 deseeded and roughly chopped red chilli’s
30 grams shrimp
1tsp shrimp paste
150ml ground nut oil
1 thinly sliced red onion
1 deseeded and chopped red pepper
1 deseeded and chopped green pepper
115g baby sweet corn
350g monkfish, cut into bite sized pieces
16 raw tiger prawns, peeled

1.       In a blender, place the first five ingredients and 75ml of the oil and whizz into a smooth paste.
2.       Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a deep skillet or wok and add the blended mixture frying over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove the paste and set to one side.
3.       Wipe the skillet or wok with kitchen paper and add another 2tbsp of oil, fry the onions for about 2 minutes then add the peppers and cook for 3 minutes before adding the baby sweet corn and cooking for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set to one side.

4.       Add 1 more tbsp. of oil to the pan and stir fry the fish until it is opaque and the prawns are pink, then re-add the paste and veg, mix it all together and then leave it on the heat for a few more minutes until it is heated through and serve with rice or noodles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment