Saturday, August 10, 2013

American Pancakes

When I was 12 I spent three months in America, two of those months were spent in Biloxi, Mississippi. Crayfish, fresh shrimp and catfish were among some of my favourite things to eat for dinner, they were that fresh (apart from the catfish) that when you bought them they were still moving in the bag. American pancakes though were my favourite for breakfast, sorry to any of my American friends reading this and having your pancakes branded as being American, fact remains pancakes are different to what you get over here, which are thin like crepes and probably more like 10 inches. I loved them topped with maple syrup, or blueberries, good quality bacon and scrambled egg are also good, my favourite now though would be cinnamon apple sautéed in butter and brown sugar - it may sound odd but I have also served this with bacon - I find that the saltiness from the bacon and the sweetness from the apples go really well together. I will concede that I have rather odd taste buds at times, although I do have a recipe for chocolate coated bacon - so maybe my theory isn't so wrong? Even if you don't serve bacon with this recipe it is really good, you could even just make the pancakes and make your own topping, or use the cinnamon apple topping on French toast.
 

American Pancakes
 
 
 1 1/2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Whisk together the dry ingredients, in one bowl and the wet ones into another, once both are mixed, combine the wet ingredients into the dry ones, then ladle a 1/4 cup at a time into a hot skillet, and cook until bubbly then flip and cook until golden on the bottom - top with your favourite topping. 
 
 
For The Apple Topping
 1 medium sized apple, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
In a small skillet, sauté the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in the tablespoon of butter, until the apple is tender.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment