Sunday, April 20, 2014

Cotton Candy Cupcakes


I’m bored and what’s more I no longer feel as though there is much validity behind my cooking. Sure I have evolved tremendously in the past few years, I can pretty much cook and nail anything even my “baking nemesis” is less of a problem for me now and much less of a bug bare.  This next recipe is a cupcake recipe, I chose it because there was very little about the original recipe that appealed to me, so I altered it somewhat, however in my quest for finding validity again, I went totally overboard with the differing flavours, because I was over excited, eager to try my new ideas . What I should have done was make two different batches with two distinct flavours, but I went all out and stuck them all together. In my opinion the end result was very sickly, however several people who had no reason to be bias tried and enjoyed them and they asked if I had more so for that reason in particular I am adding the recipe. Besides it’s only right that I should include what can only be described as my ADHD first attempt at going it all alone. Sure I alter most recipes all the time but baking ones? It’s all mine every last hyperactive flavour.

 

Cotton Candy Cupcakes

With White Chocolate and Orange Frosting

For the cupcakes

110g unsalted butter, softened

380g caster sugar

320g plain flour (all-purpose)

4tsp baking powder

1tsp salt 320ml Butter milk

3 large eggs

1tsp cotton candy flavouring

For the frosting

60g white chocolate

500g sifted icing sugar

160g unsalted butter, softened

50ml whole milk

1-2 tsp finely grated orange peel

  1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C/340˚F and line a 12 cupcake/muffin tray with large cases.
  2. In a mixer or using a hand held mixer, mix together the butter, sugar and the other dry ingredients, until you have a sandy, fine breadcrumb consistency, be sure there are no large clumps of butter, that it is all well incorporated.
  3. In a jug, mix the buttermilk and eggs and once they are well combined add the flavouring.
  4. On a medium speed very slowly and in a steady stream add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Scraping down the sides and mix again until the batter is even smooth.
  5. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases, I use a 1/3 cup scoop, this will ensure an even bake. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
  6. Next make the frosting, melt the white chocolate in a bain marie.
  7. Using a mixer, gradually mix together the butter and icing sugar until it is well combined, then mix in the milk, turn up the speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, add the chocolate to the mixture and stir in the orange peel, mixing until it’s all well combined and then spoon over the cupcakes and smooth over using a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment