Thursday, April 3, 2014

Vegetable Curry


I like to try recipes that are a little out of the ordinary for me, nothing too obscure but recipes that I would normally skip over in favour of playing it safe. Although vegetable curry doesn’t  sound that adventurous, for me it is because I would have only considered lamb, chicken, tomatoes, onion and spinach as curry ingredients, oh and shrimp, I am not sure why my list of curry ingredients is so small, was so small. I guess certain memories from my childhood and my first marriage tend to overwhelm my ability to try new things. That could also be the reason I simply cannot get over my aversion to pork. I have tried to get over that one but I just can’t. I have given up on pork altogether now and anything with bones, I don’t have an issue with filleting meat or fish before its cooked and I can fillet which helps, but the pork thing I just can’t get past it. This vegetable curry though is delicious, easy to make and can be frozen quite well, for another day. I have served it to Glen with rice and without, on its own, or if you can be bothered you could serve it with all the other curry accompaniments you can think of too.. Or indeed add meat or fish if you are so inclined.

Vegetable Curry

750g mixed vegetables of your choice

3tbsp sunflower oil

2 onions, peeled and chopped

1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed

½ tsp ginger powder

1tbsp Garam masala

400g can chopped tomatoes

400g can chickpeas, drained

175ml pineapple juice

Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Cut all the vegetables into bite sized pieces, making sure they are all about the same size so that they cook evenly. Heat the oil in a medium sized pan, over a medium heat, add the onions and cook until browned, this should take about 10 minutes stirring regularly.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring bring the mixture to a simmer, next throw in the vegetables, cover with a lid or tin foil, over a low heat cook for about 15 minutes, the veggie should be just tender taste for seasoning and adjust as needed, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment