Saturday, May 12, 2012

100th Recipe, Garlic Beef Enchiladas



I have tried over 200 recipes – I have 200 I can share, some are brilliant some not so much, some I have just made a complete hash out of. Whatever the outcome though, even my disasters, I’m incredibly proud and grateful for them, proud because I am finally doing something I am good at and worthwhile. Each recipe is worked with meticulous planning, I’ll read and re-read a recipe to be sure I know what I am doing, then I work out which ingredients to leave out or change. For example I am allergic to ginger, it doesn’t put me into anaphylactic shock – but I do get a tickly cough, a tightness in my chest and I struggle to breathe at times. So any recipes with fresh ginger are out, that or I don’t include it, which more often is the case. It’s a pity because I love ginger.

Once I am satisfied with a recipe I write it out my way. So to cut my long and boring story short – I am proud because I can cook and I also work hard at perfecting my technique. I am grateful because, as silly as it sounds, it boosts my ego, when my husband tells me how great his meal was, or when people ask ME for advice. If you’d asked me nearly three years ago, I would have been clueless!

I was missing out on so much, Black Bean Sauce, Hoisin, Chorizo – Garlic Beef Enchiladas, well would you look at that, my next recipe.

I think this makes 100.

Garlic Beef Enchiladas

1 lb minced beef
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1 can stewed tomatoes
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (15 oz) beef broth
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1-2 tbsp chilli powder
1-2 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp salt
10 tortillas 7"
2 cups strong cheddar cheese

1. In a large skillet, cook the minced beef and onion over a medium heat, once cooked, drain. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in another pan, sauté the garlic in the butter until tender. Mix together flour and the broth; pour into the saucepan and continuously stirring, bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomato sauce and the seasonings; heat through.

3. Pour 1 ½ cups sauce into an ungreased 13" x 9" baking dish. Spread a ¼ cup of the beef mixture down the centre of each tortilla; top with 1-2 tbsp of cheese. Roll up tightly; place seam side down over the sauce. Top with remaining sauce.

4. Cover and bake at 350°F (180˚C) for 30-35 minutes sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese has melted.
Servings: 5




No comments:

Post a Comment