Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life's little struggles and a Mexican dish!

I am so bad at the blog thing lately, I’m not getting lazy or bored, for that matter, just soooo busy, with one thing and the other, I am reading two books at the moment, one is a novel, a Jack Higgins, I’m not sure of the title, and I have just walked in front of my husbands X-box game three times, I am not about to do it again, for the sake of a title no one is really that bothered about, I am also reading a book called “Power and control, why charming men can make dangerous lovers” to be fair I am finding it hard to put it down. I can honestly say that I have been the victim, if you will, of “Woman abuse” it’s not all in my head and I can stop feeling guilty and bad about it! IT’S NOT MY FAULT.

I am also still doing my writing course, and working on assignment 5, but I have been struggling, the assignment isn’t that difficult, but with everything going on at the moment, my mind is everywhere but on my writing…. I am indecisive, scatty, all over the place, however you wish to put it. I am also trying desperately hard to lose weight and if I am honest I think I have gained this week. I feel like a heffalump and wozzle, it’s really quite distressing, because I eat very little really. I am constantly starving and for what? So that I don’t gain anymore because I am not losing any!

Anyway, enough of that. Onto some Mexican food. By the time I made this recipe, I was at a stage in my life that was all about trying new things. I’d not really had much opportunity to eat Mexican food before. I tried a little in the States a taster if you will but never made my own. Unless, you count Guacamole or Salsa?





Baked Chimichangas

2 ½ cup shredded cooked chicken
1 cup salsa
¾ tsp cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
1 Small onion chopped
6 Tortillas warmed
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chicken broth
1/8 tsp black pepper
¼ cup flour
1 cup milk
1 jalapeno


1. In a large skillet, simmer the chicken, salsa, onion, cumin and oregano until heated through and most of the liquid has reduced. Place ½ cup of the mixture down the centre of each tortilla and top with 2 tbsp cheese.


2. Fold in the sides and ends over filling, then roll up, placing seam side down in a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 425°F (220˚C) until browned, this should take about 15 minutes.


3. In the meantime, in a saucepan, heat broth. Combine the flour and milk until smooth and then stir into the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened. Mix in the jalapenos. When the Chimichangas are finished cut in half, top with sauce, to serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment