2 tbsp sun flower oil2 lbs boneless beef, cut into 2" cubes
½ lb bacon strips
12 shallots, coarsely chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup red burgundy
2/3 cup beef stock
A few parsley sprigs
1 thyme sprig
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, crushed
Salt and black pepper to taste
½ lb mushrooms
1. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, add the beef in batches, and cook over a high heat until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen roll.
2. Add the bacon and shallots, cook gently, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and shallots have softened. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen roll.
3. Add the flour and cook stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually blend in the wine and stock and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.
4. Return the beef and bacon to the casserole dish and add the parsley, thyme, bay leaf, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook in a 160°C/325°F oven for 1½ hours.
5. Return the shallots to the casserole add the mushrooms and cook for 1 hour more or until the beef is very tender.
6. Discard the parsley sprigs, thyme, and the bay leaf, taste the sauce for seasoning before serving.
As for our weight loss this week I am not really sure that this week can really count? After a very, very heavy night of drinking last week Friday and a lot of Chinese food…. And I was really poorly Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and then of course there was the cupcake bet last night. My husband, God bless his soul, ate 10, not including the three an hour or so earlier. He won the bet. It has been an unusual week to say the least!
My Start weight on the 26.04.2012 was 77.3kg I now weigh 74.1kg = 3.2kg loss
Husbands start weight on the 26.042012 was 87.1kg he now weighs 87.3kg = 0.2kg gain (not that I really count that after last nights cupcake binge!!