Saturday, March 3, 2012

Banana Cake...


Right I will eat most things, one way or another, and to be perfectly honest now that I am cooking a wide and varied array of food I eat even more things than before, something’s I just simply like one way though and not another, for example banana bread or in the case of this recipe it’s a cake, I’ve included it because Glen, enjoyed and so did our friends and my son, me on the other hand, not so much. I’m not really sure if I really didn’t like it or if it was just some latent feeling of yuck? Not very descriptive I realise, it’s quite hard to describe – I sometimes wonder if it’s a psychosomatic feeling? It’s like if something smells odd, if I’ve decided its gone off, even if it hasn’t, it doesn’t matter how many people have said to the contrary that it’s fine – it will smell and look off and ultimately taste off. I don’t like really ripe bananas – I don’t like that really sweet woody taste, that said I don’t like ones with green on them either, you get that sweet taste and then that fuzzy felt texture and bitter taste – for me a perfect banana is one with only yellow bits no green bits and hardly any brown bits, ideally no brown bits at all. I hate mushy banana regardless of ripeness, unless it’s in a milk shake. Anyway whether it’s the mashed banana, subliminally telling me not to like the banana bread or not, that’s just silly!

Banana Cake

2 beaten eggs
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup mashed banana
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Let the eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, meanwhile grease and flour, two 9” baking pans.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Add banana, buttermilk, shortening and vanilla. Beat with the electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Then add the eggs; beat for 2 minutes. Spread the batter evenly into the two pans.
  3. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes in the pans, then remove the cakes from the pans and cool thoroughly…. Then frost with desired frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment