Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Broccoli Rabe Pie - Errmm well not really!


Broccoli Rabe, what is that? I had no idea. It’s a herb related to the turnip and looks a bit like broccoli (I’m guessing that’s where the “broccoli” bit comes from), I had to google it. I’ve not seen it, but like most things that’s not to say, it’s not here in Germany, I just haven’t seen it. Why am I talking broccoli Rabe? This next recipe was inspired by Broccoli Rabe Pie…

America is great, my most favourite place on earth and I would go back given the chance. You can buy frozen pie crusts, and not worry about having to make pastry from scratch, I still make rubbish pastry. I’m speculating here, slightly bitter and angry about the past, and what I say next, will probably reflect that – mostly because I never measured up to what was expected of me. All of my “friends” were the perfect women – great cooks, perfect mothers and housewives etc… Pastry was never an issue for them. In truth I didn’t really have any friends, they were all my ex’s friends and took great pleasure in humiliating me – my issue is not that I’m unable to make pastry, and every thing to do with my body heat. I’ll not go into it again but if you have read my blog about quiche Lorraine you’ll know, that regardless of what I do my hands are always too warm.

Broccoli And Spinach Pie  

1 pie crust
¾ lb broccoli
¾ lb spinach
3 eggs lightly beaten
2/3 cup cottage cheese
½ cup mixed shredded cheese
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 cloves minced garlic

  1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C) Check the instructions for your pie crust, does it need prebaking? If so now is the time to do it.
  2. Cook the broccoli and the spinach for 5 minutes or until just tender; drain well, cool slightly and finely chop.
  3. In a large bowl stir in the eggs, cottage cheese, pepper, garlic and shredded cheese. Stir in the broccoli and spinach. Pour egg mixture into your pastry shell. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the knife comes out clean. Let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.



Instead of using broccoli and spinach, you could use 1 ½ lbs of broccoli Rabe and follow the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment