Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Is there a connection between ADHD behavioral problems and food?

I’m a theoretician, mostly because over the years that, I was with the father of my children, anything else was a non-starter, I am not saying I was never allowed to do anything because that would be a lie and unfair statement, but I rarely got to finish anything, hobbies got started and were left half complete because funds wouldn’t allow me to finish, not that, that ever stop him though from buying his computer magazines in excess of €10.00, or his online subscriptions. In a way though I am grateful, because my reading and writing, ‘theorizing’ has made me into a thinking, planning, reasoning sort of person, I am for the most part self-taught . I’m certainly smarter than he gave me credit for. Occasionally though I would be graced with “You’re not stupid, but you’re not as smart as me.” To be fair, he does say he has nine A levels which is huge achievement by anyone’s standard. If it sounds as though I’m as bitter, it’s probably because I am – after all a, A level in picking your nose is something to be really proud of. You’d also be right in assuming I don’t believe him. Accolades should be awarded when due and not because you command them, through lies and egoism.
In 2003 my son was diagnosed with ADHD, and to be honest it was an incredibly tough time, not to mention the beginning of a turning point! I was young and totally naïve. Alex was perfect there was nothing wrong with him. How dare some trumped up jobs worth diagnose my boy with “naughty boy syndrome?”  The truth is I couldn’t face that my perfect, gorgeous little boy wasn’t perfect, at least not in the eyes of society, because to me he was perfect in every way.
Once I got over the shock and heartache and had learnt to accept that I had one of “those” children. I began to study and read, and whilst ultimately he did go onto medication, I wanted to try and control his temper, mood swings, and behaviour problems with diet and herbal remedies, so I set about on a theorizing mission, notebooks, pens, scrap paper, computer print outs, books and internet at the ready
I began reading and writing, about anything and everything that had to, do with ADHD. This is what I learnt;
Food containing salicylates such as processed foods, any dyes in particular reds and oranges and dried fruit to name but a small few, could set off an episode, by an episode I mean that Alex would get hyper, he’d fidget, unable to sit still for five minutes and got easily distracted and bored, his mind would wonder onto other things, something would trigger in his brain, a need to do something. It could have been anything, like for example setting light to a tree (yes he did do this) why he wanted to do it, is a mystery to me still, anyway this would lead to him getting told off and given a time out if not a grounding, on the tree occasion I grounded him.10 years or so on, looking back I ask myself was it the right way, to go about things? I honestly don’t know, he needed disciplining, something to tell him that this was bad, but it had such a profound effect on him, not like that of a normal child, first he would have an angry fit, screaming and yelling, usually some kind of profanity along with “You never loved me Mummy” and the one which hurt the most “I hate you so much, I wish my Daddy was home.” The other thing he did was door slamming, which could quite literally go on for hours, sometimes! He would just open and slam his bedroom door, over and over again. After the anger, came anxiety I am assuming it was akin to a panic attack, that tight feeling you get in your chest when you are so frightened you can’t breathe. In this stage his way to deal with it was to become destructive, and he would tear his room apart, throwing toys everywhere, pulling books off shelves and clothes out of the wardrobe, as well as deliberately breaking stuff. Then came the final stage, which was the ϋber pathetic stage, it would usually consist of his bedroom window being opened and in a meek and weak voice he would say “Help me, help me, help me” with the sad little look on his face that made you feel sorry for him. Over time I learned that it was just a manipulation tactic, a way to get me to do what he wanted, he could go for hours, days even planning how to get what he wanted and for a little while at least I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. I had also be taught/shown how to restrain him safely if he ever got out of control in such a way that he was likely to hurt himself or others, but I only used that tactic once because I ended up getting head butted in the nose as he threw his head backwards, which really hurt. So for me that was an episode it was a weekly thing, if it only happened once then I could count my blessings.
   So now that you know exactly what I mean by episode I can carry on with the diet thing. I also learnt that sugary foods were a bad idea, with this small bit of information I set about changing his diet, in theory anyway, as I was working full time and I was relying on my son’s father’s mother to implement it during the day. Then me when he had breakfast and dinner.
1.       Eliminate all processed foods
2.       No sweets or dried fruits
3.       No soft drinks such as coke, lemonade , power/energy drinks
4.       My final step process of elimination

It was never going to be an easy task, but for the health of my child, for what was best for him, I wasn’t going to be easily deterred either and my onslaught began, so because I was having to rely on Alex’s Grandma “Oma” due to my work commitments during the day, I made a chart Mon-Sun, with a box for what he had eaten and one for comments;
                                            
                                                Foods                                       Reaction to foods          
Monday
Tuna sandwich, coke, skittles
Became hyper and lost concentration
Tuesday


Wednesday


Thursday


Friday


Saturday


Sunday



My theory was, if I kept an accurate account of what he was eating, I could do a process of elimination that way. I also read that children with a strict timetable, a routine, cope better with everyday life. So I made flash cards with the time on them, pictures of the activity and the word in English and in German, it was a physical timetable something tangible and I had hoped fun to look at, so he could see and want to do the “chores” mostly though it was simple things like, get up, clean teeth, get washed, get ready for school… etc, etc. The idea was dismissed as soon as it was started, day one didn’t work so none of it was going to work EVER and it all got binned, literally the flash cards got thrown in the trash and the diet wasn’t even tried as far as I can tell. Apart from me no one was that bothered or could be bothered with all the effort, and so the easy option was afforded and he went on the meds, and I had to make excuses for the lousy decision, it was me that had to explain to people why I was putting poison into my son’s tiny fragile body. I said utterly ridiculous things like,” I don’t want him missing out on what all the other kids can eat,” and other equally as lame excuses. The truth though was that I wanted him to lead an as normal life as possible, without the meds. Whatever normal is? As usual though, my wishes were tossed aside as ridiculous notions.

What would have worked though? Had I been allowed to continue what kind of foods would I have been able to feed him and what should have been avoided?

By eating Salicylate free foods, we can help avoid some of the typical behaviour ADHD suffers are afflicted by. Salicylate, is a natural occurring acid in plants, medications, perfumes and preservatives.

Salicylate free foods include; bananas, pears, lentils, whole grain breads and cereals, lean meats and poultry, fish, milk cheese and eggs.

Foods such as sweets, fruit juices and soft drinks – anything with sweeteners like corn syrup, honey and sugar are all attributed to a rise in blood sugar levels and could therefore be indicative of attention problems and hyper activity.

It has been written and suggested that eating complex carbs later in the day can help with relaxation and sleep, so eating things like whole grain breads and cereals in the evening could help improve bedtime routines. (I am not saying this is the answer to your prayers, but simply that it COULD help).

Foods high in protein have shown to help with concentration, so introducing your child to foods such as beans, eggs, low-fat cheese, fish and lean meats could help there.

I also avoided anything with caffeine in it too, because of over stimulation, but I recently read an article which stated that caffeine would help a child with ADHD, lessening some of the symptoms – in hindsight and knowing what I do about the medication given to children with ADHD it makes perfect sense. A person with ADHD is likely to be medicated with Ritalin (although not always Concerta is also another medication given, it worked better for my son but made him VERY poorly and he had to be taken off it) Ritalin’s main purpose, in children with ADHD is to help induce a calming effect and whilst it is unknown exactly why this happens, it is known that it affects the chemical balance in the brain. People who take Ritalin, that are not ADHD sufferers, have been known to have an over stimulation in the brain which can have side effects such as ADHD type symptoms, so having the complete opposite affect to that of an ADHD sufferer. So I guess from a logical stand point it is quite feasible that caffeine could have a calming effect to someone with ADHD.  I am not sure that if I could go back and repeat the process that I would change my mind and give him a cup of strong coffee three or four times a day, but it was something interesting to consider.


I am by no means saying that you must choose diet over medication, it is not my place to make that judgement, and after everything that I went through when people found out that my son was on medication I would never make the same judgement of others, people weren’t aware of my circumstances but made two judgements of me straight away a) I was his mother so the choice must have been mine b) I was too young and lazy to try the alternatives, the only thing people were right about was me being too young, too young to fight for what I knew was right for me and for my son. And that there is how you have to make your choices in life, it’s not about what other people think you should do or what you shouldn’t do, it’s about what is right for you and your family. What works for me may not work for you and I have no right to force you into something, just as no one had the right to judge me, I had a right to do what I thought was best for me and my son, and although I wanted to go down the diet route, if I had chosen to give him medication that should have been ok. People’s attitudes made me especially cross, as none of the choices made regarding my children were my own. I did what was expected of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment