Sunday, February 16, 2014

Moussaka






As a child one of the dishes my mother would make was moussaka, and ever since Glen and I have been living together it’s a dish I have been meaning to replicate and not managed to get round to, then a few months ago my friend mentioned it and I felt it was high time I gave it try. So I did and this is the recipe I used, not quite how I remember it. I guess with all my books though I am bound to have a slightly different recipe I can try, in the meantime this one wasn’t too bad!


Moussaka

2 large aubergines (eggplants) cut into 5mm slices

Salt and black pepper

5tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

450g minced lamb

100ml red wine

400g tin chopped tomatoes

1tsp sugar

100ml lamb stock

2tsp dried oregano

450g potatoes cut into 5mm slices

4tbsp parmesan cheese

4tbsp fresh breadcrumbs 

For the topping

200g Greek yogurt

3 large eggs

1tbsp corn flour

115g curd cheese

60g feta cheese, crumbled

  1. Sprinkle the aubergines (eggplant) with salt and set to one side for about 30 minutes, and then rinse under running cold water, drain and pat dry. Salting the aubergine (eggplant) helps to reduce the bitterness and because you are sweating them reduces the water content, thereby making cooking time slightly shorter, I have also read that the aubergines absorb less oil once they have been sweated during the cooking process.
  2. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a skillet and fry the onion until soft, increase the heat a little and cook the minced lamb until it has browned, being careful to break up any clumps as you go.
  3. Add the wine and allow to boil for a couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes, sugar, stock and 1tsp of oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper simmer for about 30 minutes, liquid should have reduced by half and thickened.
  4. While the meat mixture is simmering, brush the aubergines with a little oil and grill in batches, until soft and golden on both sides (I found it easier to use my George Foreman Grill as it did both sides at the same time, and I love that griddled look) and cook the potatoes in boiling water until just tender, be careful not to overcook the potatoes you want them to hold their shape. 
  5. In a jug whisk the yogurt, eggs and corn flour together until smooth and then add the curd and feta.
  6. Preheat your oven to 180˚C/350˚F. In a rectangular oven proof dish layer the moussaka, aubergine, meat and then the potatoes, try and overlap the potatoes slightly. You could if you preferred make your moussaka in four individual dishes, so each person receives, their own little dish.
  7. Spread the topping so it cover the potatoes and then sprinkle over the parmesan and breadcrumbs bake until golden brown and bubbling, this should take about 45 minutes.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment