Thursday, February 13, 2014

Lamb Korma

This is another lamb recipe and for certain it is one worth trying. I love Korma because I am a massive fan of rich creamy sauces. Until my husband and I got engaged I had never really made or even tried curry before – my biological fathers’ were disgusting – almost Vindaloo spicy un-yet they were really bland, he has no sense of smell, ergo no discernable taste buds, which meant that dishes got over spiced and seasoned just so he could taste a little – I hated that man’s cooking, as for the father of my children, unless it was frozen and processed, some variety of pork cooked in oodles of oil – little to no seasoning or out of a tin or jar you could forget it, he wasn’t interested. So my curry tasting began with Glen and my first one was a korma, well I had to go with something safe, right? I like this recipe a lot, but it is nothing like Haandi’s in Falls Church. Mind you nothing I have tried since, has come anywhere near close to the curries you got there!  

Lamb Korma
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
2 large green chilli’s halved and seeded
60g cashew nuts
2tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground cardamom
2tsp turmeric
6tbsp water
3tbsp sunflower oil
1kg lamb neck fillet cut into cubes
2 large onions, roughly chopped
300ml full fat Greek yogurt
Salt and black pepper to taste
1tbsp lemon juice
1.       Place the first 8 ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth.
2.       Heat 2tbsp of the oil and brown the meat on all sides and then transfer to kitchen paper and drain off any excess oil.
3.       Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and fry the onions over a high heat for a few minutes until soft, then put the lamb back into the skillet along with your spicy paste and yogurt, season with salt and pepper, transfer to a crockpot if you have one or just cover and simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
4.       Add the lemon juice taste for seasoning and serve on a bed of rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment