Thursday, February 13, 2014

Lamb Burgers

If you have sensed I harbour ill will towards the father of my children, that’s probably because I do and not because it started that way, I didn’t hate him despite everything and when I first left my only concern was causing the least possible pain for all those concerned. Even when he fractured my wrist, broke a bone in my foot and destroyed the watch that Glen had given me for Christmas (I loved that watch, I still have it but it’s broken). Everyone who knew about this incident was telling me to report him to the police for assault, to be fair it wasn’t many who knew. I was too embarrassed, after all we weren’t together and I was in a relationship, engaged to another man and still managed to get myself hurt. Glen knew because I felt guilty that the watch he had bought me was broken, my Mum and Step Dad knew because I had to go home to their house and I was not only shaken and crying but the bruises on my left forearm where horrific, my boss knew because I needed time off work to go to the Dr and get my arm splinted and strapped up, I also needed X-rays which took a little while to get done and one friend knew because I blurted it out over a cup of coffee when I was asked what I had done to my wrist. I didn’t go to the police, it was reported at the Dr’s as physical proof and I had photos if I needed them, but still my only concern was making the transition from marriage to divorce, as smoothly and as quickly as possible in the vain hope that it wouldn’t turn as nasty as it did. I guess years of repression, bullying, scare tactics and the emotional and psychological warfare didn’t help. Even though we are now divorced and I am happily married to Glen he still gets to me but for a totally different reason, he uses my children to say you may be gone, but you’ll never be free, because I have the one thing you want most and you can’t have, he has made sure of that! I miss my children although at 18 this year and 15 I am not sure children is the right word to use. I have photos and pictures they have drawn dotted around the house and a box full of them which I am slowly getting round to putting in scrapbooks, which is another hobby I enjoy.
Why would any of this have to do with a recipe? Well I would never have been allowed to make this. Lamb and garlic were two big NO NOs! Maybe that is where this food, book and writing obsession has come from? These lamb burgers though are for sure a big up yours to him I can cook and eat what I like, and as an added bonus they taste utterly heavenly.
 
Lamb Burgers
1tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
500g minced lamb
1tsp ground cumin
2tbsp chopped fresh mint
Salt and black pepper to taste
1.       Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onion and garlic until they are soft this could take as long as 10 minutes, set to one side and allow to cool completely.
2.       Knead the cooled onion mixture into the rest of the ingredients and shape into 8 small patties, cover and place them in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up. (leave them longer in the fridge if you have the time)
3.       Heat a skillet or griddle pan, with a little oil and cook the patties until brown and cooked through, serve in pittas or burger buns  with tzatziki.


No comments:

Post a Comment