Friday, March 15, 2013

Grilled Chicken Sandwich

This one is really good, the original recipe said to use foccacia bread - I know what that is, but I hadn't had any before and I couldn't find any in the German shop. I do have a few recipes for it, but if I am honest despite some recent successes, my baking is still pretty pityful. Since I had no idea what it's meant to taste like or what kind of texture it has I decided to give it a miss and opt for pita bread instead. At this point I wasn't too fussed - I could have easily choosen ciabatta bread - burger buns or wraps. I don't know which would have been a better subsitute, but what I do know is, I will be doing these with pita breads again. We really enjoy pita bread though, especially as a late night boozy snack. In such cases I normally shred some lettuce and stick it in a mixing bowl then finely chop tomato, shred either ham, turkey or chicken - sometimes if I have any smoked fish I will use that, it entirely depends what's in the fridge at the time - I used shrimp and crayfish once, that was yummy - salt and pepper and dollop of mayo and give it a good mix, in the meantime toast the pita and then stuff them full of the mixture... So for us pitas were always going to be a winner. 

Grilled Chicken Sandwich
 
2 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
25g butter softened
zest of half a lemon
1 tbsp fresh thyme
2 chopped garlic cloves
2 pitta breads
2 tbsp whole grain mustard
2 tbsp cream cheese
50g watercress
1/2 tomato
mixed leaf salad
 
1. Using a rolling pin batter the chicken breasts until it is about a cm thick. In a bowl mix together the butter, lemon zest, thyme, and garlic. Using the herby butter season the chicken.
 
2. Place the chicken on a foil lined tray and grill the chicken under a medium heat grill for about 5-10 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through, use the juices and bast every now and again during cooking. Meanwhile warm the pita breads.
 
3. Split the pita's and spread mustard on the bottom half and cream cheese on the top, divide the water cress, tomato and mixed leaf  salad between the bases, and top with the chicken and the other half of the pita.

No comments:

Post a Comment