Monday, March 18, 2013

Sweet and Sour Lime Chicken

On my continous pursuit for new chicken recipes, I came across this one and it seemed perfect for what I had in mind. After my citrus escapade in the summer of 2010 - which I will get to in a later blog - I haven't really made anything which required citrusy flavours, unless we are talking about a few drops of lemon concentrate here and there, or a glass of orange juice. One mishap with an ingredient is no real reason to stop using it altogether, but I decided baby steps was the way forward. The original recipe said to use two limes but  I only used one. I suppose that citrus fear is still there. Like I said baby steps. To be honest I think maybe this was the right move to make, it was a very nice dish and encouraged me to be brave with the use of citrus fruits again - boy I sound like such a coward.

Sweet and Sour Lime Chicken
 
 
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp honey
juice and rind of 1 lime
2 tsp tomato puree
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
serve with rice and garnish with spring onions
 
 
1. Slice the chicken into long thick strips, heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Add the chicken, season and stir-fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
 
2. Mix together the honey, lime, tomato puree and soy sauce. Add to the frying pan and simmer with the chicken for a few minutes, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened. Serve on a bed of rice and garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment