Monday, March 4, 2013

Pan Fried Scallops

We went shopping in our local store and Glen is normally in charge of the frozen fish section, fresh fish off the fish counter is actually frozen first - so although bought off the fish counter it's not really fresh at all. Occasionally depending on what I am doing I will buy frozen fish off the fish counter (I had to ask for the frozen stuff especially). I begruged doing it though because frozen fish weighs more and a I pay more for water retention, but needs must I suppose. Anyway with my anal retentive ways and my lists upon lists of ingredients for recipes I want to make, it rarely leaves much room for Glen to make much choice, for what he wants for dinner. By letting him loose in the fish section he gets some say and I get a challenge of a random ingredient to work with - this is what I did with the scallops he picked up.

I got this recipe out of Jamie Olivers, 30 minute meals (excellent book) written much better than I have posted. He's done it in order of what to do when to get it on the table in 30 minutes! He also added a vegetable side to this but I just boiled some broccoli to go with it! I highly recommend all his books!

Pan Fried Scallops with Chilli Rice
Rice
1/2 mug of rice
small spring onions/scallions
2 eggs
1tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 lemon
sweet chili sauce
Scallops
200g fresh scallops, shelled and trimmed
olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lemon
Chinese five spice
sesame oil
1/4 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
runny honey
2  knobs butter
1. Put the rice into a small saucepan with a couple of pinches of salt and with the same mug you used to measure the rice, pour a whole mug of boiling water onto the rice. Put the lid on the saucepan and cook the rice. It should take about 10 minutes.
2. Finely slice the spring onions/scallions and put into a mixing bowl, add the eggs, soy sauce and sesame oil, whisk. Fluff the rice and then add the egg mixture. Add the lemon juice, and a little pepper, replace the lid and turn down the heat to the lowest setting and leave for a further 5 minutes.
3. Score crosses on top the scallops about half way through, drizzle over some olive oil, season with salt and pepper, grated lemon zest and the chinese five spice, finally pour a little sesame oil over the top and gently toss to coat the scallops. Set to one side.
4. Put a skillet on the highest heat and leave it to get really, hot. Now add the olive oil and quickly add the scallops scored side down, leave them for 2-3 minutes, shake the pan a little every now and again. Once they are golden brown on the bottom, quickly turn them over, they only need about 30 seconds now, so quickly scatter the garlic and chilli, squeeze over the lemon juice, a little honey, and the butter then remove from the heat.
5. Pour a healthy amount of sweet chilli sauce over the rice, stir and serve with the scallops on top. 



No comments:

Post a Comment