I got this recipe out of Jamie Olivers, 30 minute meals (excellent book) written much better than I have posted. He's done it in order of what to do when to get it on the table in 30 minutes! He also added a vegetable side to this but I just boiled some broccoli to go with it! I highly recommend all his books!
Pan Fried Scallops with Chilli Rice
1/2 mug of rice
small spring onions/scallions
1tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
sweet chili sauce
200g fresh scallops, shelled and trimmed
Salt and pepper to taste
Chinese five spice
1/4 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
2 knobs butter
1. Put the rice into a small saucepan with a couple of pinches of salt and with the same mug you used to measure the rice, pour a whole mug of boiling water onto the rice. Put the lid on the saucepan and cook the rice. It should take about 10 minutes.
2. Finely slice the spring onions/scallions and put into a mixing bowl, add the eggs, soy sauce and sesame oil, whisk. Fluff the rice and then add the egg mixture. Add the lemon juice, and a little pepper, replace the lid and turn down the heat to the lowest setting and leave for a further 5 minutes.
3. Score crosses on top the scallops about half way through, drizzle over some olive oil, season with salt and pepper, grated lemon zest and the chinese five spice, finally pour a little sesame oil over the top and gently toss to coat the scallops. Set to one side.
4. Put a skillet on the highest heat and leave it to get really, hot. Now add the olive oil and quickly add the scallops scored side down, leave them for 2-3 minutes, shake the pan a little every now and again. Once they are golden brown on the bottom, quickly turn them over, they only need about 30 seconds now, so quickly scatter the garlic and chilli, squeeze over the lemon juice, a little honey, and the butter then remove from the heat.
5. Pour a healthy amount of sweet chilli sauce over the rice, stir and serve with the scallops on top.