Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wild Mushroom Pie

This is another magazine recipe, at the time I made this I had only just broken my favourite pie dish that I had bought in America, it had broken into pieces while it was in the oven. I hadn't gotten round to buying a new one at this point. I have since bought a set of three retro looking dishes, white, metal with a thin blue trim, I love them to bits, and can't wait for them to get that naturally battered look that comes with age. I also bought the ceramic pie beans so I can blind bake properly.

So at the time of making this dish, I was using a pyrex dish for my pies and some rice to blind bake, in fairness the rice did work. It was far from perfect but I liked the quirkiness of it, I am not much of a conformist, I like the ideas I get from other people and all of my recipes, but I also like the way I do things too much to change that much, I would like to be able to present my food better, half my photo's don't even come close to giving my dishes justice.
My pies had a funny shape at this point but that didn't negate from the taste at all.



Cheese, Wild Mushroom and Bacon Pie
 
3 Garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp. Canola oil
4 bacon rashers/strips cut into 1/2" pieces
1lb Sliced assorted mushrooms
1/2 finely chopped onion
3 eggs
8oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
shortcrust pastry, 125g plain flour, 60g butter, 2 tbsp water or store bought pie crust
110g cheddar cheese
2tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp paprika
 
1. Wrap the garlic with a drizzle of the oil in a double layer of tin foil, bake in the oven at 425F/220C for 15-20 minutes, until softened. Allow to cool.
 
 
2. In a large skillet/frying pan, cook the bacon until it's crisp, then drain on paper towels. Keeping 2 tsp of the remaining fat in the frying pan. Use the fat to saute the mushrooms and onions, until tender.
 
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, add softened cream cheese, and beat together. Stir in the salt, pepper, mushroom mixture and the garlic.
 
4. Line a fluted pie dish with the pastry, neatly trimming the edges, place in the cheddar cheese, bacon and the egg mixture over the top, sprinkle with the parmesan and paprika.
 
5. Bake for about 30 minutes at 375F/190C, until golden on top and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean, allow to rest for a little while before serving. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment