Sunday, January 22, 2012

Alla Carbonara

Okay so I mentioned earlier about making this recipe in the same way that I make hollandaise. The first time I made this recipe I followed the instructions exactly, I've also tried making it on subsequent occasions following the recipe, which is how I know I keep making alla scrambled egg instead of carbonara. It originally comes from Italy, served as a 'primo' which means first course, it's basically a hot food, heavier than an antipasto, but lighter than the second course. It's also served as a main course though, traditionally made with eggs, bacon or pancetta and parmesan cheese, sometimes cream is used. Some variations of this dish would include, peas, mushrooms or other vegetables. Personally I don't usually add any extras, I prefer the simple 'plain' version, besides peas are in the 'take it but I'd rather leave it bin'. I do always have peas in the freezer ready to use, rarely.


Pasta Alla Carbonara

150 grams bacon bits
1 garlic clove, minced
30 ml evoo
25 grams butter
3 egg yolks at room temperature
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
30 ml dry white wine
80 grams cheese
salt and black pepper
400 grams pasta cooked according to package directions
1 tsp white vinegar

1. Heat the oil and the butter, add the bacon and garlic cook until bacon begins to crisp. Remove from the heat.

2. Beat the egg yolks with parsley and vinegar. Put over a saucepan and whisk until thick, slowly add the wine and cheese whisking constantly.

3. When spaghetti is almost done, gently re-heat the bacon. Drain the spaghetti then mix with the sauce and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment