Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bacon, potato and mushroom gratin.......... Good for a cheap, quick and effortless meal

In my opinion this is a really good recipe, as you can see from the picture, the first time I made it, it was in a deep bowl, which kind of, well not kind of, it does defeat the purpose of the word gratin, from what I understand it is made in a shallow gratin dish and you brown the crust, I tend to do this in the oven, although I am lead to believe it's normally done under the grill/broiler.
There are three very good reasons why this is a good recipe         

1. It tastes good and is filling - that's two but I'm counting it as one.
2. It's quick and easy to make. I'm cheating here that's another two. 
3. It's very cheap to make. Didn't cheat that time.                              

Another one for my comfort food list.                                               

Bacon, Potato and Mushroom Gratin                                                

250 grams small potatoes
coarsely grounded pepper
1 small onion, diced
125 grams bacon, diced
30 ml evoo
125 grams mushrooms
125 grams cheese plus a little extra

1. Halve the potatoes, cook until tender and drain thoroughly

2. Cook the onion and bacon gently, to soften the onion and crisp the bacon add the mushrooms and cook stirring for 2-3 minutes. Pre-heat the oven, to about 200 degrees C

3. Put the bacon, onion and mushrooms into a gratin dish and stir in potatoes, season with pepper  and stir in grated cheese, then sprinkle a little on top. Bake until cheese is bubbling.

Sometimes I add more cheese depends on how cheesy my mood is.


No comments:

Post a Comment