Monday, January 23, 2012

Chilli Con Carne

I apologise now for NO PICTURE boooo hissss to me.......... (Will add one at a later date)

I watch a few cooking shows, the two I really enjoy watching are, (Laurrie I apologise to you personally I know you don't like them) diners, drive ins and dives and Guy's big bite. I was watching Guy's big bite one night and watched how he made Chilli, I've since changed the way I make mine and it's for the better. I'm learning new things all the time about the way things can be done! When I first started making Chilli, in my mind it was made with mince, tomatoes, kidney beans and chilli powder, well the basics anyway. I now add chunks of steak and chunky bacon bits and jalapeno peppers if I can find them (Germany seems to rarely have them) It would never have occured to me, to do it this way. Guy did add a lot more to his but I didn't fancy the other ingredients, I don't really remember what they were, but it was probably bell pepper since I am not a fan?

Chilli Con Carne

225 grams ground beef
1 beef steak (not very specific I know, I just bought a steak chopped it up and stuck it in)
150g Chunky bacon bits
1 large onion
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Garlic powder
450 ml sieved tomatoes
425 grams red kidney beans
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp sour cream (optional)
Salt and black pepper to taste
225 grams rice
grated cheese to serve

1. Dry fry the mince, steak, bacon bits and onion until cooked (about 5 minutes)

2. Stir in the chilli, cumin and oregano for another minute.

3. Stir in the sieved tomatoes, beans and tomato puree, salt and pepper.

4. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, gently simmer for 20 minutes, add sour cream if desired, serve on a bed of rice, topped with the grated cheese.

Servings: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment