Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Little Time For Breakfast

Before I begin with the recipe and my usual quick bit about it. I want to say that I have sort of had an epiphany. A lot has happened and the stress of the last six months, has taken it's toll on my mental health. As a consequence everything that makes me, ME, has suffered, cookbooks have remained on the shelf, collecting dust, recipe apps have sat on the iPad unused and taking up memory. Dinners have been a hotch potch of thrown together food with none of the structure and forethought, that I used to put into my meals and my life. Some people probably think that's quite sad, that I sit at the weekends trawlling through recipe books, reading and picking out monthly recipes, researching the dishes and ingredients. Maybe it is, but nothing gives me greater pleasure than relaxing on my couch, with a glass of vodka and cranberry juice, Glen playing on his Xbox and me doing my thing! My blog is also important to me, I don't always get it right, but it's mine and I put a lot of thought into each post. I try not to go on a raving tangent too much because given the chance I could write for hours about each and every individual blog, but that's not what I want, I don't want to bore people, I want to share what I love, in a fairly concise format. I also haven't done any of my writing course since I got here, not because I haven't wanted to but for the same reasons as everything else it too has taken a back-burner. I've hit rock bottom, worried about everything all of the time. Like I said to a friend the other day I am waiting for that rope to come down so I can climb back out, I guess the fact that I am writing my blog again that rope has been dropped and I am beginning to climb back out already.

So where does this leave my epiphany? Well I'm going to start organising my time better, again, write lists of things to get done and I'm going to set goals and achievements, so I have something to aim for. I'm going to post at least one blog a day, start working on my coursework again. I am also sick to death of my own joke, "Rubbish at baking" hahaha! My cake sunk, the edges burnt, my scones and biscuits/cookies are rock hard, it was funny for awhile, but it's not anymore, I want to be good, I want to bake something people want to eat, I want to be able to make pretty/cool cakes that several of my friends can do, in particular I am thinking of two women, behind some really cool cake businesses, Goff's Goodie Galore and Loopy's Cakes, both women are absolutely amazing and you can find them on Facebook.. I want to be that good, but I realise you only get that good by practice... So to begin with I am going to bake 2-3 times a week maybe four there by getting in the practice I clearly need. Hopefully one day I will be able to eat more of my baking than goes in the bin.

So now onto the recipe part, of this blog. The joys of work leave little in the mornings for a decent breakfast - I rarely eat breakfast during the week, unless I'm on painkillers which require eating first. Every morning though, when we were in America and Germany, I would get up and make Glen two slices of toast sometimes scrambled eggs, when time allowed. At the weekends though, when time was on my side, I liked to make Glen something a little more special. Whether it was a full English, American Pancakes, a nice big bowl of warm filling porridge with a big glug of sweetened condensed milk, or this, French Toast with Cinnamon Apples, I try to make sure that weekend breakfasts are always delicious and hot.

French Toast With Maple and Cinnamon Apples

For The Apple Topping

1 medium sized apple, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

French toast

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 slices of bread
1 tbsp butter
maple syrup

1. In a small skillet, sauté the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in the tablespoon of butter, until the apple is tender.

2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla, pour into a shallow bowl.(You can whisk in the shallow bowl, rather than making two bowls messy, but I would rather whisk in a deeper bowl as I can be a bit messy when whisking) Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture.

3 In a large skillet, melt the butter over a medium heat, cook the bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with the apple mixture and lots of maple syrup.

2 comments:

  1. Yummm! We only eat real breakfast on Sundays so I can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard, with life commitments, to find the time to just sit and start the day in that kind of way! I love it, we don't have a dining table yet so we eat on our laps, but I do love sitting at the table and having a nice meal with my husband, whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's just nice to potter in the kitchen and then sit down and relax over some good food. I can't wait until we get our own house and dining table so we can start doing it again.

    ReplyDelete