Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mussels Steamed in White Wine

This recipe a friend gave me, back in 2010. He lives in Portugal and from what he tells me fresh fish is in abundance. I would love to live near the coast, a small fishing village. I can see myself deliberately going down to the local pub for lunch or dinner, with the sole purpose of making friends with the local fishermen. What could be better than meeting your mate Frank, off the boat in the morning and getting first pick of his catch? I would be perfectly happy eating fresh fish two or three times a week - failing that I am going to need a decent fish monger - which to be honest with my bone phobia is probably more practical than "my mate Frank." Still I can see myself living in a cottage on the coast, with my modern rustic looking kitchen, over looking the veiw, I'd enjoy doing the dishes while watch my sea views!

Fresh Mussels Steamed in White Wine

1lb fresh mussels
1 sliced leek
2-3 finely chopped scallions
2 cloves minced garlic
dash tabasco sauce
100g sliced mushrooms
1 tomato seeded and finely chopped
2 large glasses of wine (try not to drink any)
olive oil

1. In a frying pan, gently sauté the leek, garlic and mushrooms once the vegetables have softened add the scallions and tomato, mix well.
2. Transfer the vegetable mix to a large pot, add the tobasco sauce and two glasses of wine.

3. Add the mussels, cover and simmer until the wine is reduced by half and the shells havee opened.

I served this with crusty bread.

2 comments:

  1. Love mussels! Love your recipe too! I think I haven't been using enough wine in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another mussel recipe coming up in a few blogs time, I wouldn't say it was better, but it certainly give this one a run for it's money!

      Delete