Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mexican Food

I have just invested in a Mexican cookbook. I love the fact that Mexican food is colourful, rich and full of exciting flavours, if I am honest I think I prefer Mexican snacks more than a main meal. Quesadillas, Salsa, Guacomle, Tortilla Chips, Jalapeno Poppers to name just a few.

I'd never heard of this next recipe before, until I came across it in one of my American cookbooks - which to be fair are most most favourite ones. I am still quite new to the cooking scene (three and a bit years) and certainly all these "new" flavours, chorizo, black bean sauce, hoisin sauce, chilli paste, Thai food, Mexican, Indian etc. I had no idea about. It's an exciting new world for me and I'm enjoying every flavourful experience - even my mistakes and mishaps, annoying as they are I learn from them - except the baking ones - boo hoo me!

Anyway back to the recipe at hand. I've checked this online and I'm not entirely sure they are real tamales. Like I said I am a foodie newbee... But from what I understand tamales are made and then wrapped in either, banana leaves or corn husks... I also saw something about masa which is Spanish, apparently for wheat dough which makes, tortillas - Close to what I have in this recipe. On further reading though that was it, one tiny mention of the "masa" so I am still unsure. To be perfectly honest I'm totally naive in this slight dialemma of mine. If anyone can enlighten me I really would appreciate it.

Tamales

1lb lean ground beef
3/4 cup sweet corn
6 corn tortillas (cut into 1/2" strips)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar
2 cups salsa
2 Tbsp water
5 Tbsp sour cream

1. In a large nonstick, frying pan/skillet with a little oil (I use EVOO) or a coating of cooking spray, cook the beef over a medium heat, until the meat is cooked through, then drain any excess fluid. Stir in the salsa, corn and water bring it all to a boil.

2. Stir in the tortilla strips. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the tortillas have softened. Sprinkle with cheese and cover and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve with sour cream.


I used kidney beans - (red beans) I'm not at all sure that kidney beans are an authentic Mexican ingredient, however the original recipe required 2/3 cup of bell peppers and I don't like bell peppers, so I needed to substitute it with something - I haven't found black beans here - which from my understanding would probably have been a better substitute. I have to work with what I have, although I have since discovered that Olives, Capers, Prunes or Raisins are also used in Mexican dishes (not sure I would have added any of those though) an unknown factor at the time. All I can do is my best with my limited knowledge and food resources.






2 comments:

  1. Pinto beans would actually be the first choice but any beans will do. Masa is like cornmeal and mixed with water to make like a paste that is spread on the corn husk and then the filling goes on top of that. It is rolled up and steamed. When cooked, you unfold the corn husk and you have something like cornbread with the meat and bean filling inside. They are very time consuming to make but very good to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I suppose I will have to give that a try at some point, probably when I have MY kitchen!! :o)

    ReplyDelete