Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chicken and Bacon Burgers


After I moved to America, I was suddenly unemployed, housewife it was then….. I had always been told that I was a really bad “housewife,” so to be honest I felt as though I had something to prove, anxious that I wouldn’t live up to a perceived expectation, that I thought, Glen would have of me, I was scared. I am so in love with him and so desperate, not to let him down, or fail him. I still don’t want to, but not in the same way as I felt then… To begin with I was genuinely worried, that being at home all the time and being responsible for the housework, that he would realise that I wasn’t what he thought of me at all. We had never lived together before, a few weeks here and there, but this was us, together, forever and always.

 I didn’t have any reason to worry. Turns out I’m not rubbish like everyone had said for years, that I was….  I do have OCD and given the right circumstances, it breeds and manifests itself into something ugly, with help I had got it under control, I was given techniques in which to find another place, as it were, and block out the feelings causing tension and anxiety that would feed my OCD… When I lived with my Ex, to a certain extent I could block out a lot of the MESS that bothered me, I was told to find other things to occupy my mind, work, the children, dogs, reading or keeping a journal. To begin with after I moved in with Glen, it got a little “ugly” I cleaned everything, even though it didn’t need cleaning, top to bottom, every room in the apartment, drawers got emptied and reorganised, his clothes cupboard got a complete overhaul, colour co-ordinated, including his pants…. I admit I still get a little upset, if I put his boxers away and he has messed up the draw, especially if I am in one of “those anxious states.” In some ways this is a good thing, I have a mop, but if I am on my hands and knees, with a toothbrush, scrubbing the kitchen floor, he knows I am upset about something. Who needs words, when you have a husband that knows when something is wrong, will pick you up off the floor and give you one of those reassuring hugs that says, “It’s going to be ok, I’m here?” I am not saying we don’t talk because we do, but sometimes I am just not able to express myself.

Anyway I badly digress, as usual. I used to wake up most mornings, with Glen, made his coffee and breakfast, turned on the computer, took the dog out and made sure his lunch was ready for work. After he left I would do the chores. After my initial clean I had a routine, and everything would been done usually in time for Regis and Kelly, daytime T.V. Martha Stewart….. Not so much, her, but sometimes. My favourite was Rachel Ray, I love her and Glen bought me her “Book of 10.” This is one of hers.

 Bacon and Ranch, Chicken Burgers With Scallion Sticks.                                Serves 4

 8 bacon rashers (slices)
1 ½ lbs ground chicken
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ small onion
¼ cup parsley
¼ lb havarti cheese
2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 lemons
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil
2 cups butter milk
1 tsp paprika
Flour for dredging
16 scallions
4 English muffins
Creamy ranch dressing

  1. Cook the bacon over a medium-high heat until crisp.
  2. In a large bowl combine the chicken, garlic onion, parsley, havarti chunks, poultry seasoning, the zest and lemon juice of half a lemon, salt, and pepper. Then form large patties. Coat them with vegetable oil.
  3.  Remove the crispy bacon from the pan to a towel-lined plate and keep to one side. Then cook the chicken burgers, until done all the way through.
  4. In a large skillet, heat about 1 ½ inches of vegetable oil. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the buttermilk, paprika, and the rest of zest and juice from the lemons.
  5. Put the flour in another mixing bowl, toss the scallions in the buttermilk and then the flour and then repeat the process. Fry the scallions until golden on each side. Put them on kitchen paper and season with salt.
  6. Toast the muffins, and coat with a lot of ranch, then layer the bottoms of the muffins with the burgers, then the bacon and then place on the muffin tops.. Serve with your scallion sticks.


No comments:

Post a Comment