Monday, February 13, 2012

American Biscuits...........!!!

We love American biscuits, I’ll be perfectly honest, we used to buy the frozen Pilsbury ones all the time, but I also realised that eventually we would be leaving the States, that meant either no more biscuits or I had to learn to make them from scratch. This is the first recipe I tried and again it’s a baking thing, so minimum ingredients was key. To be honest they weren’t bad but not of the Pilsbury quality either, slightly disappointed, but I emphasise the fact that I am not a very good baker….
I have since found one that is pretty close to the Pilsbury style that my husband and I, know and love so much, but that comes later….. For now try these and let me know what you think.

Cornmeal Biscuits

1 & 1/3 cups all purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
2 ½ tsps baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup shortening
½ cup grated cheddar
1 cup milk

  1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, cut in the shortening until it looks crumbly, stir in the cheese and milk, until just moist.
  2. Drop ¼ cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet about 2” apart and bake in the oven at 375˚F (190˚C) for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Good biscuits are hard to come by. I've been working on my clone recipe for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another one, I am slowly working through all the recipes I have tried on this blog, I'm nearly through my first notebook and number two is where that recipe is.... It shouldn't be too much longer!

    ReplyDelete