Monday, February 27, 2012

Hungry For Goulash?

I spent years and years – buying pre-prepared, packaged food, (well the ex did, I wasn’t allowed to shop, some lame excuse about my “trolley rage”) rubbish food that is full of MSG’s – whatever that is, not good that’s for sure – artificial flavours, colours and preservatives, all the junk you don’t want. Why – when I am clearly aware this is not a good thing, who on earth knows? To be fair I lost interest in cooking – Monday, Mcdonalds – Tuesday, Spaghetti with scrambled egg and tomato sauce, YUCKY….. Wednesday, Pizza – Thursday, pork schnitzel with a packaged potato or noodle salad – Friday, bread rolls – Saturday something random, usually pork, Sunday, “roast” pork with potatoes and veg out of a jar and powdered gravy. BORING!!!!!
So when I started this cooking adventure, one of things I wanted to try most was goulash, mostly because I had never made my own from scratch and it was about time I did, besides how do you know if homemade is better if you don’t try and make your own?
Magyar Gulyás (Hungary) Hungarian Goulash
1kg goulash meat (it’s cut into equal cubes)
2 large onions, sliced
6-8 large potatoes, cubed
50g mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
Warm stock or water
1 tbsp mild paprika
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp tomato puree
15g butter
1tsp caraway seeds
Salt
  1. Heat a thick pan, add the fat, when it’s hot, add the meat and brown, then put the onions, mushrooms, garlic, tomato puree, mild paprika in the pan with the meat. Once the onions and mushrooms have softened cover with the water or stock. Cover and gently cook until the meat is tender.
  2. Cook the potatoes in boiling water, and then add to the goulash once the meat is tender. Just before serving, melt the butter and stir in the paprika, then add to the goulash and salt to taste. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment