Wednesday, February 8, 2012

chicken cordon bleu

These days chicken breast is so cheap to buy, and I’ll often buy the family saver packs, split them down into separate freezer bags and then stick them in the freezer until such a point as I am ready to use them – a few years ago I wouldn’t have entertained the idea of buying plain chicken. More over I wouldn’t have had a clue about what to do with it, probably wouldn’t have been allowed either. Making it myself, would have meant spending more money, much better to buy pre-prepared rubbish, that you can’t really be sure what went in it right?

When my life became liberated, so did my food and my “experimenting,” with all these “new” ingredients. It paid off in a big way, with each success, my confidence in the kitchen grew, but also within me.

This next recipe, at the time seemed a little daunting and complicated to make, but I was ready and excited for the challenge. The first time round it was time consuming, but well worth the effort and to be honest in all fairness, half of the time I spend in the kitchen prepping and cooking is because I enjoy it, not because I need to be in there. I have an inner peace in the kitchen, I put my iPod on and cook away to my favourite music….. I do try not to sing though….. Hehehehe..

My kitchen is my little world, somewhere where I have found that I feel safe and happy, and no I don’t always get it right, baking is something I just can’t master at all, but I have the drive to keep trying. I now have something that I can talk about other than work or what was on T.V the night before – mind you I could also talk about the hundreds of books I have read or the masses of vodka I managed to down last night. “O-M-G - smiley face – LOL,” as my dear husband would say.



This is me good or bad, I enjoy it and for the first time in a REALLY long time I have found something I am good at, and proud of accomplishing.



Chicken Cordon Bleu


100g fresh bread crumbs
1 tsp each of rosemary, thyme and sage
4 chicken breasts, butterfly cut
4 rashers (slices) of bacon
100g grated cheese
1/3 cup of olive oil

  1. Mix the breadcrumbs and all the herbs together.
  2. Cut the bacon rashers in half and place inside the chicken breast, making sure they don’t over lap the ends.
  3. Then layer the bacon with the grated cheese.
  4. Flip the other half of the chicken breast back over, carefully roll the breast in olive oil and then in the breadcrumbs.
  5. Bake in a lightly greased dish at 350̊F for 30-35 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment