Thursday, February 9, 2012

Vincent, my brave little dog


I know that I normally post about my kitchen antics.... But I felt the need to post about my dog. He had cryptoid testicles, which basically means that as a puppy they didn't descend and were sitting inside him, instead of outside, unfortunately having them removed was the only option, because they could become cancerous...... Today was that day.

We drove 2 and a ½  hours to get this done, I haven’t been overly impressed with the vet here in our local area and decided that my precious little man, despite his quirks, was too important to us to take him to a vet I don’t trust.

Watching him go under the aesthetic, was traumatic, convulsions (although having been told this was normal) left me feeling very anxious, and when he took that last deep breath, before going completely to sleep, made me look and feel to see if he was still breathing, for a second I thought he had died. For a moment there my heart was breaking. I remember yelling at my husband to get the vet… If he hadn’t been there right away I would have started giving him CPR, a thousand thoughts race through your mind in that moment…. Of course I was stressing for nothing but this is my baby
don’t, forget.

Let me tell you about a few of Vinny’s “antics.” My mother breeds Golden Retrievers, and because I was living with my mother at the time, and my inability to not become attached to the little puppies, I stayed well clear of Vinny’s litter, apart from the beginning, when I was there for the birth of the entire litter. Sat in my mother’s bathroom with an armful of towels, it was my job to dry and gently blow into the little puppies noses, sometimes giving them a vigorous rub to get them breathing. It was the 29th April 2009, 0515, my husbands birthday, what a way to wake up on your birthday, with your future wife sticking a puppy in your face, that had been born literally moments before. This was the extent of my involvement with the puppies though… After that moment on, my puppy duties required of me only to make up feeds later and help clean the poop, admittedly only on occasion. This changed though, when the litter was about 5 weeks old, I had been at work all day and for whatever reason, it was, my mother and father had to go out and no one was at home to take the nearly house trained puppies outside to do their business. Oh my goodness what a disgusting mess 8 puppies can make, to make matters worse we had 30 minutes in which to clean the mess and have 8 little puppies clean and smelling nice for prospective owners. I was left cleaning poopy pups. 7 got cleaned, to be honest I had quite a good system going, all the pups went in the bath, and in a very professional and detached matter, I grabbed a puppy, stuck it under the tap in the sink shampoo’d, rinsed, towelled dry and moved onto the next 6 with NO inkling of ooooh I sooo want you feelings. Then came Vinny, last but certainly not least.

Why I fell completely in love with a dog who, chewed my hair, tried to pierce my ear again, and would growl at me all of the time I have no idea, but I did, I should have taken this as a sign of things to come, after all I am a seasoned dog owner, years of experience.
The best place to start is his GOOD qualities, this should take seconds…. He ermmmm plays well with others.









He looks really cute… Yup I think that’s about it……
Here’s a list of what he managed to get up to in the last 2 years 10 months and why we can’t leave the house without him being crated.

  1. He ate a box of tissues…. $2.00
  2. He ate an xbox headset…. $5.00  - $19.99
  3. Jack Higgins books x4…… $6.95 each
  4. La Gastrominque 1976 edition….. $50.00
  5. Xbox controller…… $37.00
  6. 10 pairs of my shoes and a pair of slippers….. $250.00 maybe more.
  7. He ate 2 nail files $1.00
  8. Tube of ibuprofen gel (made his poo shiny) $5.00
  9. Husbands mess boots (shoe laces neatly removed and laid on the floor in straight lines) $100.10
  10. First note book with blog ideas. $5.00 (plus emotional trauma)
  11. Ran away and was gone for a total of 18 hours, found having a blast at vet….. Irreparable, trauma.
  12. Husbands brand new jumper, never been worn (chewed off the zip) $30.00
  13. $200-$300 worth of dog toys (turned into rags and bits within 5 minutes)
  14. Numerous, cleaning cloths, mop ends, blankets and towels (no major issue just a pain)








It’s impossible not to love this!!!!








4 comments:

  1. You can't help but love that!!! Great post, I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My!!! He's a busy one, your Vinnie. <3 I laughed out loud about his shiny poop after eating the ibuprofen gel... his poor bowels sure get a working over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :o) I am pleased you got a giggle out of that!!! :o) They sure do get a work out.... I only wrote about the stuff I can remember, he's eaten some really peculiar stuff in his short little life so far!!

    ReplyDelete