Sunday, February 19, 2012

What's in a regional recipe? Bauernfrühstück.... Farmers breakfast


As with most recipes, this is a regional thing, and I’m sure there’ll be a long standing debate, with the Germans as to whose came first, just as I’m equally sure that depending on where you are from in Germany will depend on what ingredients go in it. I spent 18 years of my life living near Mönchengladbach, in Nordrhein-Westfalen and this is theirs, it’s a variation on an omelette or a Spanish tortilla.

From what I am lead to believe, I gather this is something that dates back to the war, when rationing is rife – however I have also read that it dates back further than that, unfortunately when I tried to google, to check my facts, it seems either no one knows or it gets lost in translation? From what I have managed to read about this recipe, it was cheap to make, but also a last resort (going back further than the war now) because people thought that potatoes, were only good for animal consumption. Whatever the case maybe, I would be interested if anyone does know the answer. This is mine.

Bauernfrühstück

Quick, easy and cheap to make....... German recipe



3 potatoes, diced
1 leeks thinly sliced
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 onion coarsely chopped
4 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp mixed dried herbs

1. Peel and chop potatoes into bite sized pieces, place in a saucepan of boiling water, with the leeks. Boil for about 10 - 15 minutes or until potatoes are just cooked.

2. Dry fry the bacon until they start to crisp, remove some of the excess fat and then add the onion.

3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add salt and pepper and herbs.

4. When the potatoes and leeks are done add to the bacon mixture fry for about 5 minutes, then add the egg, keep frying until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.






No comments:

Post a Comment