Monday, January 27, 2014

Burritos


I ate my first burrito in America, from Taco Bell, well where else would you have one? That’s rhetorical, I can think of plenty of places, like errrm Taco Bell – Oh wait, I said that one already….. I jest. I’m not really sure how I feel about Burritos to be honest, they’re ok I guess, but they don’t scream eat me, eat me now! They just are what they are! This recipe is ok, I can’t say that I was super enthused by them but that probably has way more to do with the fact that I’m not a burrito fan. All the same I cooked it so here’s the recipe.

Chicken and rice burritos

90g white rice

1tbsp vegetable oil

1 onion roughly chopped

½ tsp ground cloves

1tsp dried oregano

200g can chopped tomatoes in tomato juice

2 skinless chicken breasts

150g cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack, not seen it here in the U.K)

4tbsp soured cream

8 fresh wheat tortillas

Salt

Oregano

  1. Cook the rice for about 5 minutes in boiling water.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion, cloves and oregano, fry for a few minutes, then stir in the rice and tomatoes and cook over a low heat until the tomato juice has been absorbed, set the pan aside.
  3. Put the breasts in a large pan and cover the chicken with just enough water, bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, remove the chicken and set to one side so it can cool a little.
  4. Preheat the oven to 160˚C/325˚F. Shred the chicken then along with the cheese and sour cream, stir it into the rice.
  5. Warm the tortillas, however suits you, then spoon the rice and chicken mixture onto the middle of the tortilla, folding them into squares securing with toothpicks.
  6. Put the burritos into a shallow oven proof dish and place in the oven until you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment