Saturday, January 25, 2014

Finally a Cinnamon Roll Success


I don’t give up, I am not a quitter, never have been, it might take me forever but eventually whatever it is I have decided I want to do, I will do.. I have always been that way, I don’t like to feel as though something has got the better of me. So there was no way I was going to let the cinnamon rolls get the better of me. I’d already decided that I would try every single cinnamon roll recipe I own, if that’s what I took – this one turned out really well. I am of the opinion that it has everything to do with the method.


Cinnamon Rolls

125ml/4oz milk

100g/3 ½ oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing

2tsp dried yeast

50g/1 ¾ oz caster sugar

550g/1 ¼ lb plain flour sifted, plus extra for dusting

1tsp salt

1 egg, plus 2 eggs yolks

Vegetable oil for greasing

For Filling and Glaze

1tbsp cinnamon

100g/3 ½ oz soft light brown sugar

25g/1oz unsalted melted butter

1 egg

4tbsp caster sugar

 


  1. In a pan, heat 125ml/4floz water, the milk, and butter until just melted, take it off the heat to cool a little and then whisk in the yeast and a tbsp of sugar, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
  2. Place the flour, salt and remaining sugar into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Then pour the warm milk into the well of the dry ingredients. Whisk the egg, egg yolks together and add them to the mixture.
  3. Combine all the ingredients to form a rough dough and place onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, adding a little extra flour if it is still too sticky.
  4. Lightly oil a bowl and place your dough in it, cover with a cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 2 hours until well risen.
  5. To make the filling mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together.
  6. When the dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knock it back.
  7. Roll the dough out into a rectangle of about 40x30cm and brush with melted butter, sprinkle over the filling, leaving a 1cm edge at one end and brush the end with egg, pat down the filling to make sure it sticks to the dough.
  8. Roll up the dough but not too tightly, towards the edge and cut it into equal pieces, using a serrated knife being careful not to squish them.
  9. Grease and line a 30cm/12” spring form cake tin, pack in the rolls, cover with cling film and prove again this will take about another 1 or 2 hours, until well risen.
  10. Preheat your oven to 180˚C/350˚F, brush the rolls with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes. Gently heat 3tbsp of water and 2 tbsp of sugar, until the sugar has dissolved. Then brush the rolls with the glaze.
  11. Sprinkle over the remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment