Saturday, January 25, 2014

Devils's Food Cake



I’m not a huge cake or sweet eater to be honest, I prefer a savoury snack – but I do enjoy baking a lot and with my newish found hidden “talent” of cake decorating I’m having even more fun. With successes under my belt such as the cupcake marathon, snake cake, my husbands and Mother in-laws birthday cakes last year I am really starting to get the hand of it and broaden my kitchen antics. This cake though turned out quite well and with the right frosting is a real winner.

Devil’s Food Cake

100g/3 ½ oz softened unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing

275g/9 ½ oz caster sugar

2 large eggs

200g/7oz self-raising flour

75g/2 ½ oz cocoa powder

1tsp baking powder

1tbsp coffee mixed with 125ml/4 floz boiling water (allow to cool)

125ml milk

1tsp Vanilla extract

 


  1. Preheat your oven to 180˚C/350˚F, grease the cake tins 2x8” and line the bases with baking paper. Using a mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Beat the eggs into the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition, whisk until well mixed, In a different bowl, sieve the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Mix together the milk, coffee and vanilla in a jug, then a little at a time alternately add the dry and wet ingredients to the butter, once it is well mixed, divide the batter between both cake tins.
  3. Bake for 30-35 minutes until springy to the touch and a cocktail stick comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes and the turn them out onto cooling racks allow to cool completely before frosting.
  4. Frost with vanilla flavoured in the middle and chocolate on top and decorate with white chocolate shavings.
     

2 comments:

  1. Everything is so pretty! I think my favorite is the snake, though. It's adorable! :)

    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete