Monday, January 13, 2014

Swedish Meatballs, with Cranberry Jam



This is another really good recipe the original recipe said to use half and half mince/ground (beef and pork) but I used bacon instead of the pork, I finely chopped it but in retrospect I would probably have been better off if I had whizzed it in the food processor, not until it was mush, but so that it was more of a mince/ground consistency. These turned out to be the best meatballs I have ever made. I very nearly didn’t put the cranberry jelly on it. I am glad I did though because it really makes the dish. I served it with roast potatoes, green veggies and cauliflower. It would have been perfect had I served it with mashed potato I think, with the meatballs and sauce on top.

Swedish Meatballs

For the meatballs

Handful of mixed herbs

300g bacon, finely chopped  (or whizzed)

300g minced/ground beef

1 large egg

75g dried breadcrumbs

1tsp ground allspice

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Olive oil

For the sauce

Juice of half a lemon or a dash of concentrate

300ml beef stock

1tbsp flour

60ml double cream

 cranberry jelly/jam

  1. Put some of the herbs to one side and the rest into a large bowl along with all of the meatball ingredients bar the oil. Using your clean hands (because I love using my hands in squelchy stuff) mix and squeeze until it is well combined, if you feel the mixture is a little dry add a little milk. Roll the mixture into little balls and put them on a lined tray into the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes.
  2. Heat a large skillet, add the oil and cook the meatballs gently for 10-15 minutes, tossing once in a while until they are cooked through.
  3. Transfer the meatballs to kitchen paper to drain. In the same pan you used to cook the meatballs, add the lemon juice, some of the stock, the flour and cream, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat; you want a thick consistency that will stick to the meatballs. Return the meatballs to the pan and stir to coat them in the sauce add the remaining herbs. Serve with potatoes, or rice and vegetables with a dollop of cranberry jelly/jam on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment