Friday, January 17, 2014

Easter Cookies


Drop cookies are easy; I have never really struggled to get them right, in comparison to cut out cookies, which have much firmer dough. I am going to keep trying, I read something recently and I think I maybe over mixing the dough. These ones turned out ok, probably by a sheer matter of fluke than my skill in the kitchen. These are good though, if you get them right, crisp but crumbly, and the raisins and mixed peel add an interesting texture to them – a little chewy. Fluke or not I was really proud when I managed to make these, at the time I didn’t have round cookie cutters (I have now in fact I have lots) so I used a glass, which I dipped in water each time before use, so that my cookie dough didn’t get stuck to the glass, it seemed to work which was a good thing. I actually managed to do a good job with these ones and felt very proud of the end result. The mixed spice gives them a little bit of bite, mixed with the orange and lemon peel; they looked good as well as tasted good. I made them which for all intense and purposes, is small feat I still struggle with dough’s and batters. In truth though, I am getting better. If you omit the fruit and spice, you can use this recipe for the basis of other types of cookies, I have used it and done run out icing. You could cover them in chocolate too, loads of possibilities really. The only constraint in life is your own imagination.


Easter Cookies

225g/8oz Softened butter

140g/5oz caster sugar (super fine) plus extra for sprinkling

1 lightly beaten egg yolk

280g/10oz plain flour

1tsp mixed spice

Pinch salt

1tbsp mixed peel

55g/2oz currants

1 egg white lightly beaten


  1. In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the egg yolk and beat that in. Sift the flour, salt and spices into the butter, throw in the mixed peel and currants and stir until very well combined. Halve the dough and shape into two balls, wrap them in clingfilm and stick them in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes before you use it.
  2. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 190˚C/375˚F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. Remove the clingfilm, place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll out the dough to about ½ cm thick, then using a fluted round cutter(or cutter of your choice), cut out your cookies and place them on the baking sheet making sure that they are spaced apart, as they will spread, when they are too close together they will, join together. Bake them for 7 minutes, remove from the oven brush with the egg white and sprinkle with the sugar. Return to the oven and bake until a nice golden brown colour… a further 5-8 minutes…. Cool on their trays for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment