Thursday, January 23, 2014

Steaks with Smoked Oyster Relish


This is one of those recipes where one of things will pop into your head, oyster relish….. YUCK! Or steak and oyster relish yummy, which it is! I love smoked oysters in olive oil, my mother would sometimes buy them, but they were never on our menu, they were an adult only dish, as were many things back then. You’d have to take a sneaky taste here and there whenever the opportunity to do so arose. My hands are covered in scars from my covert operations of sneaky tastes, jumping at creaking floor boards, the key in the lock, or the wind through the vent. Regularly bashing my hand on a loose nail, the fact I jumped is a clear sign that I was up to no good and I knew it, I could honestly sit here and say that I rarely did such things, I genuinely don’t really remember doing it THAT often, however the scars on my hands tell a different story!

Steaks with Smoked Oyster Relish

4 6oz/175g boneless steaks

Salt and black pepper

2 garlic cloves, mashed

1tbsp olive oil

FOR THE OYSTER RELISH

3 ½ oz/100g can smoked oysters

1 small very finely diced onion

Handful of parsley sprigs, finely chopped

  1. Season the steaks with salt and pepper, then massage the mashed garlic into the steak, finally brush with the olive oil. Place to one side.
  2. Drain the can of smoked oysters and chop roughly. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine, stick it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
  3. Put a skillet over a high heat and then once it is hot, cook your steaks according to how you like them done.
  4. Generously spoon the oyster relish over the steaks and serve with potato wedges.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment