Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chicken and Chorizo with potatoes


I am in two minds about this one, for two reasons, the first being I am not a fan of meat on the bone, at all. I’ll go there every now and again, but of all the meats on the bone, chicken is my least favourite, I don’t like pork chops either, I can just about manage lamb. I’ll eat anything though as long it is boneless. So chicken thighs.. Ewwww! The second is the chorizo, I love chorizo, but I've had issues cooking it, I have a theory about this though, there are two different types of chorizo, the raw one which needs cooking and the one which is smoked and can be eaten as is, I think… When I cooked this we were still in Germany and I think I may have used the chorizo that didn’t need cooking, because it came out of the oven, black and rock hard which was not at all nice. However the flavour did infuse all the other ingredients so I did get the flavours right even though we couldn’t eat the sausage! Now we are back in England I should be able to buy the correct stuff and try again. The thing that I did love about this recipe is that it is a one pot dish, you just bung everything in the roasting pan and bake – the most hassle is the removal from the oven to baste it, once half way through the cooking time.

Chicken and Chorizo with Potatoes

1tbsp olive oil
6 Chicken thighs bone in, with skin
375g Chorizo
500g new potatoes, halved
1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1tsp dried oregano
Zest of half an orange

1.       Preheat your oven to 220˚C/430˚F. Put the oil into the bottom of a roasting tin, rub the skin into the oil and then place them skin side up into the tin.

2.       Place the sausage and the potatoes into the tin and then scatter the onion and oregano into the tin and grate the orange over the top.

3.       Bake for about 30 minutes then take the tin out of the oven baste the chicken and potatoes with the juices and then return to the oven for another 30 minutes.

     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment