Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chocolate Key Lime Pie


I first tried key lime pie in America, I’d not even heard of it until then, but I was instantly hooked and had every intention of making my own, eventually. When I came across this recipe in one of my books, I had to try it. The picture sold it for me, as well as the name, I mean chocolate key lime pie, how can you not be attracted to that? Unless you don’t like chocolate or Key lime! It was utterly divine, naughty but nice. Is that not the case with most things we really enjoy though? A moment on the lips, a life time on the hips. Is that not what they say? In this situation though when faced with to have or not to have the key lime pie, I am afraid it is a must have key lime pie. Oh well we only live once, may as well enjoy it while we can. Although when I have eaten half in just a couple of days, I feel guilty, naughty and FAT all my own fault and doing of course, but I have to go on a diet until I feel as though I have purged enough, but oh boy was it worth it! I have also made mini one  of these….


Chocolate Key Lime Pie

150g digestive biscuits (Graham crackers)

150g Oreo’s (not double stuff)

50g unsalted butter, melted

50g dark chocolate chips

1 can sweetened condensed milk, chilled

4 key limes, 2tbsp of zest and 175ml of juice

300ml double cream

Grated, best quality you can afford dark chocolate

  1. In a food processor, whizz the digestives and oreo’s together. Then add the butter a little at a time, you want a dark, moist, sandy mixture. Add the chocolate chips, then pour the mixture into a fluted tart tin, press onto the base and up the sides, pop it in the freezer to chill while you make the filling.
  2. Pour the condensed milk into a large mixing bowl, add the juice of the limes and mix well. Pour in the double cream and whisk until thick, spoon it into the base and use the back of the spoon to roughly smooth out the top.
  3. Cover and let the pie chill over night or for at least four hours.
  4. To serve grate the chocolate over the top and sprinkle with the lime zest. The filling will soften at room temperature so you need to keep it in the refrigerator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment