Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pork Fillet with Caramelised Apples


Although I have a massive aversion to most types of pork, I eat bacon, sausages, ham and gammon! But I keep trying, and to date this is my favourite, pork recipe! I love the garlic and the caramelised apple. I am a huge fan, much to my dietary misfortune, of cream sauces they’re a major vice of mine. Despite my saying this is my favourite I’m yet to be converted to pork. In most cases I still find the taste repugnant, I concede that, that is for sure a very strong word to use, but then again it does described exactly how I feel about it, unless it is cured or smoked. Pork is one of those poor ingredients totally subjected to my prejudice’s, it really does have a rough time, which is why I keep trying and have pork in many forms in the freezer, they’ll probably still be in the freezer this time next year but 2 years ago I wouldn’t have even entertained the idea of buying any and I am determined to find that perfect recipe that will change my mind about pork forever. This wasn’t it, but I did like it if that makes any sense at all… I suppose the best way to explain that would be to say that although I enjoyed this pork dish, I still don’t like to eat pork and I won’t go out of my way to buy it, unless I have a pork recipe in mind to try. I end up with bits in the freezer for two reasons, first being I buy it and put it in the freezer with a misplaced intention to do something with it later and then the other reason, I am a bargain buyer, if I go into ASDA, that’s the shop I use, and they are doing a deal I am going to buy the deal to save money, so instead of having bought five pork steaks (can’t eat chops) for £3.50 I’ll buy ten for £5.00, the prices are made up, I have never been in ASDA and bought 10 steaks for £5.00, I was just showing the kind of deal I would go for.

 

Pork Fillet with Caramelised Apples
1 pork fillet
 1 tsp dried rosemary
1-2 green apples, cores removed, and cut into wedges
1 garlic clove, minced
20g butter
½ tbsp. cider vinegar
1 small onion finely diced
½ tbsp. soft brown sugar
125ml. cider
1tbsp crème fraiche
Salt and black pepper

1.       Preheat your oven to 230˚C/450˚F. Using a sharp knife cut slits into the pork, and stuff with the minced garlic, doing both sides of the pork.

2.       Melt the butter and mix it with vinegar and brush it over the pork, saving a little for later. Sprinkle half of the rosemary over the pork and season with salt and pepper.

3.       Scatter the onions on your baking tray, then add the pork. Mix the apples with the remaining butter mixture and toss to coat, add them to the baking tray with the pork. Sprinkle the sugar, and remaining rosemary over the top.

4.       Roast your pork on the highest shelf for about 25-30 minutes, it will be cooked when the juices run clear.

5.       Transfer the pork and apples to a warmed plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

6.       Pour the cider onto the tray, heat it a little to loosen any stuck onions and meat juices, transfer it all to a small saucepan, add the remaining cider and bring it to a slow boil, reduce the liquid by about a third and then whisk in the crème fraiche, season to taste with salt and ground pepper.

7.       Serve with roast potatoes and your favourite veg with the sauce over the top…..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment