Saturday, January 25, 2014

Shortcakes



Right as far as sweets are concerned this is my all-time favourite, I’m not even going to attempt to pass this off as a healthy thing in disguise because it’s not – ok there is a handful of fruit thrown in, but it does negate from all that whipping cream and sugar – what I can tell you is that they are fool proof and can be on the table in 30 minutes depending on how fast you work. You can choose to put whatever fruit on these you like, whether it’s raspberries, strawberries or any other fruit you can think of and enjoy. My personal favourite is raspberry but I’ve always loved raspberries. I remember as a child my Mum would take us to the strawberry fields, we would pick our own fruit, raspberries where the bit I looked forward to the most. Accidently on purpose I would squish the delicate fruit between my fingers so I would HAVE to eat them. Nothing has changed raspberries are still among my favourite


.


 Shortcakes


8oz/225g plain flour


3oz/85g caster sugar


1tbsp baking powder


½ tsp salt


8floz/250ml whipping cream


  1. Preheat your oven to 400˚F/200˚C and lightly grease a baking tray.
  2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add 2oz/55g of the caster sugar, the baking powder and salt, stir to mix.
  3. Slowly add the cream, mixing gently with a fork, the mixture should become clumpy.
  4. Carefully gather the clumps together making a log shape – do not knead the dough – cut the log into six slices. Put them on the baking tray and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
  5. Bake them until light golden brown, this should only take about 15 minutes, cool on a wire rack.
     
    Serve split with either your favourite fresh fruit, or jam and whipped cream. (Or poured cream as pictured)

No comments:

Post a Comment