Saturday, January 4, 2014

Smoked Trout Wraps


I love wraps. When I first had one, it was stuffed with ham, lettuce, sweet corn and red pepper, it felt totally exotic to me, which seems completely daft now but that’s how it felt, for goodness sake, I thought subway was gourmet food. Mind you after eating pork chops, boiled potatoes, and peas and carrots out of a jar – frozen pizza, spaghetti with tomato sauce and scrambled egg, every week, anything would seem gourmet after that. When I moved in with Glen, wraps became a regular staple in our house, sometimes we would eat them as a main meal, other times I would make them for lunch or midnight drunken munchies. I’ve filled them with all sorts of things, smoked salmon, crab, prawns, tuna, bacon and egg; I have made BLTs and chicken Caesar. These smoked trout ones are really very good. Mager Quark is a German low fat – yogurt, cheese type substance, similar to fromage frais or ricotta, because it is low fat, it makes a slightly healthier option to mayonnaise, but still gives you that moistness that you get mayonnaise, less of the fat. I prefer mayo, but I have used Ranch, Greek yogurt and salad cream. I sometimes use cream cheese, like Philadelphia which is also quite nice. The trout paste that makes up these wraps is really delicious and would make a lovely start served in little bowls with warm toast, or you could serve it on top of tiny bite sized toasts, with the paste piled high on top.
Smoked Trout Wraps
250g smoked trout
50g mager quark
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1-2tbsp lemon juice
1 bunch of chives
4 green lettuce leaves
4 tortilla wraps

1.       Shred the trout, and then add the quark, oil, salt and pepper, and 1tbsp of the lemon juice. Puree the trout mixture but leave it a little chunky. Wash the chives and finely chop, and then add them to the trout puree, cover and chill for 30 minutes.

2.       Once your mixture is chilled, season with salt and pepper and the remaining lemon juice. Wash the lettuce and slice, warm the wraps according to the package directions, layer first with the lettuce, then the trout paste, wrap and then cut an angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment