Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Prosciutto Wrapped Lamb Sausages


When I first read the recipe book that this one came out if I skipped over it assuming it would require obscure ingredients, impossible to get hold of and that it would be too complicated to make. One of things that really frustrates me the most about some recipes is the excitement of proving to myself how far I have come and what I am truly capable of, and then I can’t get the ingredients to do it. A few weeks later I was looking for a recipe I had seen and wanted to try when I came across this again and decided to have a proper read of it to see what it involved, turns out it was nothing too complicated after all, the only problem was that I had to use super cheap very poor quality mince/ground lamb. We were living in Germany at the time and it was very difficult to get hold of and when you were able to get hold of it, it was extortionately expensive. Mince/ground wasn’t one of the ‘cuts’ you could buy either, although that’s not a major issue because if you can find any lamb, you can always mince you own.  However on this occasion all I could find was the cheap stuff.

Next time I make them I will make them with a better quality mince, especially as they were very tasty even with the cheap quality mince so I can only imagine how much better they will be with the good stuff. They are quite spicy so may not be too kiddy friendly, unless they like that sort of thing or you tone back the heat a little, maybe by halving the spices? I definitely recommend these, even if you have to change the recipe entirely to suit your needs. They are so much fun to make, the hardest bit to do is wrapping them in the prosciutto, which to be honest is more fiddly and time consuming than difficult.


Prosciutto wrapped lamb sausages

500g minced lamb

1tbsp coriander

1tbsp cumin

½ red onion, finely diced

½ tsp red chilli flakes

4tbsp breadcrumbs

1 egg, beaten

Salt and black pepper

12 slices prosciutto

Olive oil for greasing

  1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C/375˚F. Put all the ingredients, except the prosciutto and olive oil into a large mixing bowl, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Using your hands, because it is fun! (you can use a spoon if you prefer) Mix all the ingredients together.
  2. Using a set of scales divide your mince into 12 equal bits, each should weigh between 41 and 42g, keeping your hands wet as you work, roll the lamb into sausage shapes. The next step is to wrap them in the prosciutto, use one slice per sausage, unless you really need to use two, roll the sausage tightly in the prosciutto, leaving the ends open.
  3. Lightly oil your baking tray and place the sausages on it. Baking them in the oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment