Monday, January 27, 2014

Lamb with Spinach


My husband, Glen and I really enjoy lamb, if it’s cooked right it can be really outstanding. My mother would cook it when I was a child occasionally. Then when I got married the first time, we never had it again, I wasn’t even allowed to buy it for myself or order it in a restaurant because apparently just the smell of it made him sick. So when Glen made me a lamb steak on the George Foreman, with nothing but salt and pepper, I really thought I had died and gone to heaven. Lamb is one of my favourite ingredients to cook with, although, mint, despite being the traditional pairing, I much prefer thyme and rosemary as my seasoning of choice, every now and again a nice big dollop of mint sauce with your lamb is just what the doctor ordered. The good thing about this recipe is that for certain you will get tender lamb because of the way it is cooked.

Lamb with Spinach

675g boneless lamb, cubed

½ tsp dried thyme

2tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1tbsp tomato puree

Red chilli flakes, according to taste (I only use about an 1/8 tsp but you could use more)

600ml lamb stock or water

4 portions frozen spinach, thawed and water squished out

Salt and ground black pepper according to taste

  1. Place the lamb in a bowl, season with thyme, salt and pepper. Mix to coat and place in the fridge to marinate for a couple of hours.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the onion and garlic and fry gently until soft, about 5 minutes.
  3. Now add the lamb, with the tomato puree and chilli, cook over a moderate heat for about five minutes, stirring often, then add the stock or water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the lamb is tender.
  4. Stir in the spinach and simmer until cooked through.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment