Saturday, January 25, 2014

Olive and Sun-dried Tomato Bread


Still on my pursuit for purification therapy, I made this bread it made two loaves one was supposed to be with the olives and the other with sundried tomatoes, I love both but Glen, try as I might is not so keen. So I made one with just the sundried tomatoes and the other with both. The only complaint I got from Glen was the salt on top, which he picked off, I have a sodium deficiency and I tend to salt everything that I eat, including pizza and toast at times. I’ve also been caught dipping my finger in any leftover salt on my plate, before any lectures my bad habit, my bloods get checked regularly and everything is within a normal range.

 


Olive and Sundried Tomato Bread

3 ¼ cup/400g unbleached white flour

½ cup buckwheat flour

1tsp salt

¼ oz/7g quick active yeast (activate with a little warm water and sugar)

Black pepper

1 ¼ cup/300ml lukewarm water

1tbsp olive oil, extra for greasing

1 cup/125g Jar sundried tomatoes

1tbsp parsley

1tbsp chopped fresh basil

1 tbsp sea salt

  1. In a large bowl, tip in the flours, salt and pepper. Stir to mix, make a well in the middle pour in the yeast, oil and water – a little at a time, to form a soft but not sticky dough.
  2. Lightly oil the bowl, knead the dough into a round until smooth and elastic, put the dough into the oiled bowl and cover with lightly oiled cling film, then leave for 1 – 1 ½ hours in a warm place.
  3. Prepare a baking sheet by lightly oiling it, punch the dough in the middle and then knead again for 3-4 minutes, divide the dough into two pieces, rolling each one out into a rectangle about 23x25cm/9”x10”. On one of the rectangles sprinkle the olives. Put the sun-dried tomatoes and basil on the other one.
  4. Starting with the long end, roll up the dough, placing it seam side down on a baking tray, repeat with the other rectangle, diagonally slash each loaf 4 or 5 times, cover with oiled cling film, leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
  5. Brush each loaf with a little water and sprinkle with sea salt, for 15 minutes bake it in the oven at 230˚C/450˚F, then reduce the heat to 190˚C/375˚F and bake for a further 15 minutes, until they’ve risen and a lovey golden colour.
  6. Tap the bottom of the loaf, if it sounds hollow it’s baked properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment